For four years -- and three for Carl -- we’ve attended what we affectionately
call “House Church” every Tuesday night.
Our friend Arlene opens her home to everyone, without distinction. Fifty to
seventy-five people arrive from all walks of life. Arlene and many helpers fill
crockpots, electric ovens, pots, pans and serving bowls for all kinds of meats,
vegetables, salads and more desserts than can be imagined.
Then there are those who dress tables with lovely tablecloths and centerpieces
that wait to welcome us. I help prepare the meal -- and have learned many
cooking secrets along the way! BONUS!
After dinner, musicians lead us in worship. Then someone shares a story of
God’s amazing grace. Many were once incarcerated. Others were imprisoned by
addiction, abuse, shame, grief, or fear. Yet again, we hear the same testimony:
“I once was lost, but now I’m found.”
I shared my story, too. I was never arrested or imprisoned. I was raised by a
faithful single mother who taught me to love and honor Jesus. But every
testimony matters because every testimony points to our Redeemer.
Last Saturday, Carl and I attended a Prison Ministry Conference. One speaker
introduced himself first by his former prison number: “44068.” He had served
fifteen years -- but now helps restore families and build futures.
Another man spent six years in prison and has now spent six years returning as
a chaplain.
One of the young men who was once incarcerated, plays his guitar and sings to
the glory of God at House Church. A beautiful man -- father, gifted musician, a
beautiful wife and four children show up each week to declare the glory of God!
And the good news for those who are still incarcerated physically have become
free inwardly through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
That is why Carl and I have submitted our request to serve in Texas prisons.
We don’t know exactly what lies ahead, but God does. We are determined to be useful in this prime-time season of our lives. If He opens the door -- even a prison door -- we are willing to walk through it.
Jesus said, “I was in prison and you came to visit Me.” — Matthew 25:36
Our prayer is that prisons will become less crowded with repeat offenders -- and increasingly filled with servants carrying hope, restoration, and stories of grace.
Because behind every number is a name. Behind every sentence is a soul. And no one is beyond the reach of our chain-breaking Savior.



No comments:
Post a Comment