Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2026

God Is Not at the Bargaining Table



I heard someone say, “I’m negotiating with God.”
Negotiating with God? For what?
“Lord, if You answer this prayer by Friday, I promise to read my Bible every morning -- and I’ll even stop complaining about that certain person!”
We sometimes approach God as though we are sitting across a conference table, prepared to make Him a deal He can’t refuse.
“Here is my plan, Lord. I’ve included the schedule, desired outcome, and several excellent reasons why You should approve it.”
But -- whoa! God isn’t waiting for us to present a convincing argument. He already knows the beginning, the ending, and every detail in between.
Abraham respectfully pleaded with God for Sodom.
Moses interceded for Israel.
Jesus encouraged us to ask, seek, and knock.
There is nothing wrong with boldly bringing our desires to God. He welcomes our honest prayers.
But prayer isn’t twisting God’s arm until He agrees with us. Prayer is remaining in His presence until our hearts begin to agree with Him.
Jesus Himself prayed in Gethsemane, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from Me.” He expressed His desire honestly -- but then surrendered completely:
“Yet not as I will, but as You will.” Matthew 26:39
That is not defeat. That is trust.
Surrender doesn’t mean we stop praying expectantly.
It means we stop demanding that God answer according to our script.
We trust that His “yes” is good, His “no” is protective, and His “wait” is purposeful.
God isn’t a used-car salesman, and prayer isn’t a bargaining chip. We don’t have to trade promises for His goodness. His love cannot be purchased, negotiated, or earned.
Jesus taught us to pray, “Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:10
So, I’ll keep asking boldly, believing faithfully, and hoping expectantly.
But when all my preferred terms are on the table, my greatest prayer will still be:
"Father, I trust You. Not my deal -- but Your will be done -- on earth as it is in heaven!"

No comments:

Post a Comment