I’m doing my best to become a better listener. But, oh my -- sometimes my own story is already standing backstage, tapping its foot and waiting for an opportunity to come out!
While someone is talking, I may be thinking, “That happened to me, too!” I want to share so they’ll know I understand. Yet, if I’m not careful, it may sound as though I’m trying to top their story with mine.
A few days ago a friend told me about her husband’s passing and the financial concerns and other challenges she now faces. My heart immediately connected with hers because, after my late husband passed away, her story was once my story.
But she didn’t necessarily need my answers. First, she needed my ears -- and my heart.
Romans 15:2 reminds us to be considerate of the doubts and fears of others. That kind of consideration begins with listening.
Hearing and listening are not the same. Hearing notices the words; listening notices the heart. Someone may say, “I’m fine,” while their trembling voice, tired eyes, or long pause tells an entirely different story.
Real listening hears what isn’t being said.
It means putting ourselves in another person’s shoes. It means listening without interrupting, preparing our response, or rushing in to fix everything. Sometimes people don’t need a solution -- they need a safe place to hurt.
And sometimes, after we have truly listened, God may prompt us to gently share part of our own story. Not to take over the
conversation, but to whisper, “You’re not alone. I’ve walked through something like this, and God carried me.”
When people are hurting so deeply that they don’t know what to believe, they need the devotion of a loyal friend -- someone willing to sit beside them and help carry the weight.
That is my prayer: “Lord, make me a better listener. Help me know when to speak, when to remain silent, and when my story might bring hope.”
May we become beacons of light who lovingly say, “I’m here. I’m listening.”
And even better: God is listening. He understands every unspoken fear, and He has the wisdom, comfort, and answers we need.

No comments:
Post a Comment