Search This Blog

Saturday, September 12, 2026

A House Like No Other



Before attending our niece’s wedding last weekend, we had a little time on our hands. We had heard about an unusual Steel House near Lubbock, beside Lake Ransom Canyon. But seeing is believing -- and, mercy, what a sight!
Perched on a hillside, it looks like a spaceship, a giant insect, or perhaps the home of a James Bond villain who decided to retire in West Texas!



The Steel House was the life’s work of sculptor Robert Bruno. For more than thirty years, he dreamed, welded, shaped, and labored over this extraordinary structure.
He even moved into the unfinished home during the final months of his life so he could experience what his imagination and perseverance had created.
Today, it is an Airbnb. For about $2,724 a week, you too can sleep inside a steel sculpture -- though I’m not sure room service includes oiling the hinges!



As I looked at that one-of-a-kind house, I thought about the dreams God places within us. Robert Bruno could see something long before anyone else could. Piece by piece, year after year, he kept building what he had first imagined.




Then my thoughts traveled from a steel house in West Texas to my eternal home.
Jesus said, “My Father’s house has many rooms. I am going there to prepare a place for you.” (John 14:2)
After celebrating another birthday, heaven sometimes feels a little closer -- and more glorious than ever. I can imagine streets of gold, joyful reunions, and beauty beyond anything human hands could build.
But here’s the truth -- heaven’s greatest treasure won’t be the mansion, the golden streets, or even the angels -- harps and all!
The joy of heaven will be Jesus!
One day, I hope to hear: “Well done, good and faithful servant…Enter into the joy of your Lord.” (Matthew 25:21)
The Steel House is certainly worth seeing. But the home Jesus is preparing?
That one will take our breath away -- and best of all, He will be there to welcome us home.

No comments:

Post a Comment