Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

The Beautiful Jennifer



A few weeks ago at our niece's wedding, I sat near a beautiful woman who caught my attention. She was laughing, talking, smiling -- and absolutely enjoying life.
Leave it to me. I finally asked her to tell me her story. And Jennifer did.
She was born with a limb difference, with her hands positioned near her elbows. But within minutes, I realized something -- what I first noticed about Jennifer was quickly overshadowed by who Jennifer is.
She is intelligent, accomplished, funny, confident and full of joy. She talks with her hands. She feeds herself with them. She has adapted beautifully to life.
And she LEADS!
Jennifer is an owner and general manager of a gymnastics facility in Lubbock, TX -- where she helps lead staff and encourages young athletes. She is also a nationally rated gymnastics judge.
Talk about turning my thinking upside down!
Maybe we spend too much time looking for what is “normal.” Because, really -- who among us is completely normal?
Some of our differences are visible. Others are tucked away behind nice clothes, good hair, strong handshakes and carefully practiced smiles. We carry grief. Insecurity. Disappointment. Physical limitations. Family struggles. Regrets. Fears.
Jennifer reminded me that what we carry doesn't have to determine how we carry ourselves.
God told Samuel, “People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)
Perhaps that's our assignment too.
Look longer.
Look deeper.
See the person -- not the difference.
I first noticed Jennifer because she was different.
I remember Jennifer because she SHINED!
And maybe that's what real beauty looks like. As my mama always said, "Pretty is what pretty does!" And, that's Jennifer! Thank you, Lord, for introducing us to Jennifer. She certainly sets the pace for using the gifts God has given her. May we use what God has given us with everything He's given us!

No comments:

Post a Comment