Then it hit me.
Carl and I begin every morning with devotions and reading God's Word together. Last Christmas, I bought us neck lights because the print in our Bibles was getting just a little -- shall we say -- "fuzzier!" (Aging does have its little surprises!)
Eventually, I decided to solve the problem another way -- I bought us a large-print Bible.
We love it!
So for Ryan's birthday, I bought him the very same Bible, engraved with his name. Between a few jokes about getting older, he opened it -- smiled -- and genuinely loved it.
But that wasn't my favorite moment of the day.
"Do you mind if I give these to Bailey?" he asked.
"Oh, yes, I said, and I have a pink bag and tissue to put them in!"
Five-year-old Bailey lost her precious mommy to cancer last year. Yet through the loving arms of her daddy, family, and friends, she continues to blossom into one of the happiest, brightest little girls you'd ever want to meet.
Honestly, I wondered if two little books would even get her attention.
Oh, was I wrong!
She hugged us, then spent almost the entire celebration carrying those books from person to person, proudly showing everyone her treasures. She climbed onto laps, smiled from ear to ear, and filled the room with childlike delight.
Watching her made me think of our Heavenly Father and how He loves it when we approach His Word?
Not as another item on today's checklist.
But as His beloved children, eager to discover what wonderful treasure He has waiting for us.
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me..." (Matthew 19:14)
Maybe that's because children have a way of reminding grown-ups how to receive God's gifts -- with joy, wonder, gratitude, and excitement.





No comments:
Post a Comment