"And this is like Heaven to me..."
Where in the world did that come from?
I wasn't listening to Christian music.
No one had mentioned the song.
It simply floated into my heart.
As I sang those precious words, I realized something.
The songwriter wasn't saying life was easy.
He wasn't saying there were no troubles.
He wasn't saying he'd already arrived in heaven.
He was saying that living in the presence of Jesus brought a little taste of heaven right here on earth. Now compare that with how the enemy wants us to live.
The enemy wants us to live as though heaven doesn't exist.
Biting our nails over tomorrow.
Believing we're not good enough.
Replaying hurtful words.
Comparing ourselves to everyone else.
Listening to the lies that whisper, "You'll never measure up."
How exhausting!
Then Jesus invites us live as though heaven has already begun in our hearts. He speaks:
"Fear not."
"I am with you."
"My grace is sufficient."
"My peace I give to you."
Suddenly, our circumstances may not have changed -- but our hearts have.
The Apostle Paul called it "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding." (Philippians 4:7)
That's a little piece of heaven settling into an earthly heart.
One day, when Jesus returns, we'll experience heaven in all its fullness.
What a glorious day that will be!
But until then, every time we choose faith over fear...
Peace over panic...
Praise over complaining...
Hope over despair...
We're experiencing just a little foretaste of what's ahead.
And that's exactly why that old hymn still rings true.
"And this is like Heaven to me..."
Because wherever Jesus is welcomed...
Heaven touches earth.

No comments:
Post a Comment