Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2026

Triggered -- or Transformed?


Have you ever noticed how quickly something can "trigger" a reaction? Like that chigger that takes a hunk out of you???
OR --
Like a child talking back.
Like someone getting to us.
Like the phone doesn’t stop ringing.
Like the traffic won't move.
Like someone posting an unkind comment.
Or -- like seeing that Dairy Queen commercial and we're triggered for a bowl of ice cream. AND, it sounds like the best idea we've had all day! (Please tell me I'm not the only one!)
I've come to realize that being triggered isn't the problem.
It's what we do AFTER we're triggered that matters.
My circumstances may push the button, but my heart chooses the response.
When my feelings get hurt, when disappointment sneaks in, when I'm tempted to grumble or indulge a craving, I have a choice.
I can react – or I can run to Jesus.
King David prayed, "Search me, O God, and know my heart. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23–24)
I love that David didn't ask God to first change everyone around him.
He asked God to search HIM.
That's becoming my prayer too.
"Lord, why did that comment hurt so much?"
"Why am I so impatient today?"
"Why am I looking for comfort in a bowl of ice cream instead of in You?"
I've discovered that my triggers are often little warning lights on my dashboard. They reveal places where God is still working on me that will bring me healing, freedom, and peace.
Jesus never points out our weaknesses to shame us. He lovingly reveals them so He can transform them.
The more I invite Him to search my heart, the less power those triggers seem to have. Slowly, my reactions become responses.
My frustration becomes patience.
My hurt becomes forgiveness.
My cravings become opportunities to lean on Him.
I'm still -- a work in progress -- and yes, every now and then a Dairy Queen commercial still gets my attention!
But I'm learning that the Holy Spirit is stronger than my strongest trigger.
Today, instead of asking God to remove every irritating circumstance, I’m asking Him to transform my heart.
Because when our hearts change, our reactions begin to change too.
And that's a beautiful work only He can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment